Subject: RE: Shark on TV
To: Adam Glass <adamg@microsoft.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/20/1999 09:28:17
On Wed, 19 May 1999, Adam Glass wrote:

: isn't this the usual tv overscan problem where some percentage of the border
: of a tv signal is not guaranteed to be visible on any given screen?

Almost.  It's that the horizontal scan rate is slightly too low to display
`properly' on a NTSC TV.  I don't know how easy that would be to fix, and/or
whether the chipset would be happy to do it.

The Amiga, for example, would display 640x400, not 640x480, in interlace on
a composite monitor or TV; the vertical sync was 60Hz, and the horizontal
15.5KHz (rather than 15.75KHz)--it had a larger border area.  This *might*
mean that an XF86Config display setting for 640x400 resolution at 60Hz
vertical would fix *some* of the problem.

...and Jason Thorpe wrote:

: 	(4) How come none of this is in the FAQ?  :-)

Ptui.  Hell, I haven't even plugged in my Sharks since they went into
pre-moving storage.

But if I get reasonable answers from someone more knowledgeable to the "can
this be fixed" questions, I'll have some motivation to update it.  :-P