Subject: Re: FAQ (Was Re: Network query)
To: None <Paul.Wain@nc.com>
From: Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/18/1999 21:48:55
> Ive been pulling in a few of these FAQ type things floating past the last
> few days (both of them), but please please please, send me more if you have
> them :)

OK, some ideas inspired by my upgrading to 1.4 on my RiscPC. (I haven't
read the FAQ yet, so apologies if I'm repeating anything here!)

i) How to upgrade. I recall reading somewhere that 'upgrading'
isn't supported, a reinstall is recommended. Well, I upgraded by
using the /var partition. I basically moved /var to / to give me
a spare partition, upon which I installed 1.4. Then I booted of the
new partition (/wd0e), and then wiped / and /usr. I installed
again onto /wd0a and switched the booter back to /wd0a. Convoluted,
but satisfactory.

ii) Setting timezone. I saw the answer to this one on the i386 maillist.

iii) The RiscPC fonts.Z vs fonts.gz business and the rgb.db requirement

iv) Changing the password on a new account - as suing and passwd
doesn't work - you need to passwd -l user. Subtle, but took me a
while to figure out.

v) Some words about setting up ppp / pppd to connect to your ISP.
Mike Pumford has samples for fixed IP, how about DHCP?

I'm going to try to get X and KDE to start up smoothly soon, so
maybe I'll have more soon ;-)

HTH,

--