Subject: Re: Kernel probing pauses for ages
To: Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/16/1999 19:45:14
Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk> writes:
> After which it pauses for a minute or so. Then it gives:
>
> May 16 10:23:53 cowdery /netbsd: wdc0 at pioc0 offset 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 9

If you don't have disks on your wdc controller, you might take the
controller out of your kernel config file.

the problem is that the driver when probing needs to wait a (long)
time for drives which may be attached to reset.

Really, the fact that the user has to wait through this delay even
when other things could be probed at the same time (or wait through
twice the delay for two controllers 8-) is a deficiency of the current
kernel configuration mechanism.

cgd