Subject: Shark IDE drive troubles.
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/09/1999 00:02:40
Okay, here's one that's a bit of a problem.  I've got a 4.5GB IBM 2.5in
laptop drive that I'm trying to setup in my Shark.  It doesn't seem to be
too happy.  I'm using the 1.4_BETA netbsd_netboot.SHARK kernel.  The
kernel reports the disk with an unreasonable number of sectors/track and
tracks/cylinder.

The actual specs for the disk are: 10068 cyls, 15 heads, 63 secs/track.
I've setup a disktab entry based on these, but I can't seem to get the
label to stick to the disk.

  pez# disklabel -r wd0
  disklabel: no disk label

  pez# disklabel -w -f /etc/disktab.IBM-ide wd0 IBM-ide
  disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: No disk label on disk;
  use "disklabel -r" to install initial label

The in core copy of the label gets updated correctly.  Attempts to newfs
the partitions fail as well.

  pez# newfs /dev/rwd0a
  /dev/rwd0a:     66150 sectors in 70 cylinders of 15 tracks, 63 sectors
          32.3MB in 5 cyl groups (16 c/g, 7.38MB/g, 1664 i/g)
  super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
   32, 15216, 30400, 45584, 60768,
  cg 0: bad magic number
  write error: 0
  wtfs: Read-only file system

Any ideas on how to get this disk accessible?

-brian.
---