Subject: Re: Disk recovery methods
To: Bruce Martin <BruceM@cat.co.za>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/04/1999 10:09:19
On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 09:06:17AM +0200, Bruce Martin wrote:
> all systems contain crucial data!) I am needing to gather
> information on how to set up our system so that it is as
> "recoverable" as possible. What built-in NetBSD tools, as
That's the default setting: Unless you don't mount your
partition "asynchron" (nearly) every data on disc should
survive a crash - unless the harddisc hasn't taken any damage
of course... :-)

For even more safty you can mirror the data on an other
disc using NetBSD's raidframe device (see raid(4)) wich
will make you able to rescue data even if one harddisc is
completly damaged.

> well as other packages, exist for the purpose of recovering
> disk data after a system crash?
After a crash the system will automatically run fsck(8) -
"file system consistency check and interactive repair" .
wich should be enough in (almost?) every case.
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.