Subject: Re: Full Duplex Ethernet on the Shark - how to turn on?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/30/1999 11:22:11
>Well, once NetBSD is running, `ifconfig cs0 media 10baseT-FDX' and you
>should be golden...

I've done that, but didn't see the little "fdx" LED come up on the Shark's
switch port, so I don't know if that LED is only for 100-FDX, or just any
FDX. Need to re-read the manual for the switch (such as it is), and run
some tests. "ifconfig cs0" now reports:

cs0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        media: Ethernet 10baseT full-duplex
        status: active
        inet 209.157.85.59 netmask 0xfffffff0 broadcast 209.157.85.63

This is puzzling, because "media" says "full-duplex" but "flags" still says
"SIMPLEX" (shouldn't this bit disappear?).

The switch does "Nway" negotiation (whatever *that* is) to determine what
the heck it's talking to, and my iMac successfully negotiated
100-base-TX/FDX on the first try (I didn't have to tell it anything). Next
step is upping the Sharks to 10-base-T/FDX, and then it'll definitely be
time to get that Alpha going as the new NFS server (hopefully at
100-base-TX/FDX).

>However, you want to configure OpenFirmware to be FDX so you can
>boot :-)
>
>You want to set the /vlbus/isa/ethernet `chosen-network-type' property
>to `ethernet,10,rj45,full' (instead of the default `ethernet,10,rj45,half').
>
>I don't remember exactly how to do that, but I can try to remember to
>look it up in my copy of the OpenFirmware standard later.
>
>Anyhow, if you do that, NetBSD will automatically notice that the default
>is 10baseT-FDX, so no worries there.

I noticed that property when I was poking around OF last night, but I
couldn't figure out how to change it, so precise instructions would be
appreciated. I'm a little surprised that the Shark doesn't do the
negotation dance automatically in the firmware but I suppose that was not a
high priority on the short schedule they were on to ship.

	thanks,

	Erik <fair@clock.org>