Subject: Re: Full Duplex Ethernet on the Shark - how to turn on?
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/30/1999 10:52:28
On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 02:48:39 -0800
 "Erik E. Fair" <fair@clock.org> wrote:

 > I have a nice shiny new 8-port, 10/100, HDX/FDX Ethernet Switch
 > (http://www.dlink.com/ look for the "DSS-8"; it was $250 at Fry's). I have
 > plugged my sharks directly into this switch. How do I change/configure the
 > Shark to successfully negotiate Full Duplex 10 Mb/s Ethernet with the
 > switch?

Well, once NetBSD is running, `ifconfig cs0 media 10baseT-FDX' and you
should be golden...

However, you want to configure OpenFirmware to be FDX so you can
boot :-)

You want to set the /vlbus/isa/ethernet `chosen-network-type' property
to `ethernet,10,rj45,full' (instead of the default `ethernet,10,rj45,half').

I don't remember exactly how to do that, but I can try to remember to
look it up in my copy of the OpenFirmware standard later.

Anyhow, if you do that, NetBSD will automatically notice that the default
is 10baseT-FDX, so no worries there.