Subject: Re: StrongARM K bug
To: Peter Teichmann <teich-p@Rcs1.urz.tu-dresden.de>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/29/1999 20:12:50
> Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com> wrote:
>
> > nick@flirble.org said:
> > > Is this of direct use to BSD?
> >
> > I wrote a utility some time ago (which was posted on this list),...

> I am using it, and because of the bug I can not use KDE, Netscape and a
> lot of other programs. The main problem is that you program fixes only some
> cases of the bug, and it can not fix bugs in shared libraries. And most of
> the problems I have are in shared libraries. Your program is good, and
> made it possible to use some programs I could not use before.

Good :-)

> But it is not
> enough.

:-( (some people are never satisfied...;-(

> And I can not agree, because a compiler fix would save me the costs of
> buying a new Strongarm. And as I said, people who do not need it should
> simply not use the compiler swithes for it. Of course, a version of your
> utility which can fix all cases of the bug and shared libraries too would
> be better. But as it does not exist and you certainly do not want to
> extend it because it has no real use for you ...

It is not that I don't want to extend it, but now I no-longer have a buggy
chip I can't really test it, and I don't want to waste time on it if
nobody is making use of it.  If you are happy to help with some testing I
will have a look at it to see how much work would be required to extend it
to shared libs.

Richard.