Subject: Re: Snap shot available
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Brunswick <bdb@eidos.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/22/1999 10:23:07
In article <Pine.NEB.3.96.990319143748.479B-100000@pain.devlab.nc.com>,
Mark Brinicombe  <mark@causality.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Brian Brunswick wrote:
>
>> So what about X support? Is it possible to compile the kernel with
>> old pcvt emulation and use the old X server, or
>You need a new X server for the wsmouse protocol but you could perhaps
>compile a kernel with the opms backwards compat mouse driver.
>

>I thought I was making progress getting a snapshot out ;-)

Yup, looks like good progress - the basics are all there and working!

>I have an X client build done for the snapshot and I have some packages.
>I needs to pull all the various X server patches up to 3.3.3 and get the
>new vidc X server into the tree.

Yup, thats probably the thing most in demand I guess, but here we're
on CATS boards, and the X server is an S3V one, which we've never
had the source to, in spite of repeated requests to Chalice. It
mentions only supporting pcvt in its startup.

Is it possible to compile pcvt emulation into wscons enough to make
the old binary work? Or do we have to beat Chalice till we get the X
server sources, and presumeably then merge them into latest versions
to get the wcons support.

>> Oh yes, can one do anything magic with this wscons thing then, like
>> get higher resolution text modes or something?
>In theory I believe so but have not tried it.

Oh well - anyone any ideas on this? What options are compiled into
the kernel then? I suppose I'll have to look at the sources sometime.