Subject: Re: Snap shot available
To: Brian Brunswick <bdb@eidos.co.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/19/1999 14:45:32
On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Brian Brunswick wrote:

> I notice that MAKEDEV all with the new sets doesn't make any ttyEs and
> theres no /etc/rc.wscons in there either, or mention of them in /etc/ttys.
> Theres no entry in MAKEDEV at all for ttyEcfg (mknod /dev/ttyEcfg c 60 255)
Yep I have spotted the missing devices problem and will fix that.

> Put into rc.wscons:
> wsconscfg 1
> wsconscfg 2
> wsconscfg 3
> wsconscfg 4
> wsconscfg 5
> wsconscfg 6
> wsconscfg 7

rc.wscons & wscons.conf were added the day I built the snap shot.

> And add to /etc/ttys:
> ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
> ttyE1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
> ttyE2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
> ttyE3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
> ttyE4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
> ttyE5   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
> ttyE6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
> ttyE7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
>
> (Leaving ttyvs in seems harmless, and allows use of old kernels maybe?
> - I've only been doing this on a different partition)
Yeah need to do something about this as the SHARK and RiscPC don't use
wscons yet.

> So what about X support? Is it possible to compile the kernel with
> old pcvt emulation and use the old X server, or
You need a new X server for the wsmouse protocol but you could perhaps
compile a kernel with the opms backwards compat mouse driver.

> Ahem, excuse me!

I thought I was making progress getting a snapshot out ;-)

I have an X client build done for the snapshot and I have some packages.
I needs to pull all the various X server patches up to 3.3.3 and get the
new vidc X server into the tree.

> Oh yes, can one do anything magic with this wscons thing then, like
> get higher resolution text modes or something?
In theory I believe so but have not tried it.

CHeers,
				Mark