Subject: Re: Snap shot available
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Brunswick <bdb@eidos.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/19/1999 13:40:23
In article <Pine.SOL.3.95q.990318120442.2360A-100000@red.csi.cam.ac.uk> you write:
>> The CATS kernel dies with getty /dev/ttyv0 Operation not supported by
>> device.
>>
>> We have /dev/ttyv0 major 4 minor 0. Not even read/write appear to work,
>> when we telnet in the use echo.
>
>Did your previous kernel have wscons?  This sounds like the trouble I had
>when I first changed over.  Assuming you've done ./MAKEDEV wscons in /dev,
>then you need to make sure you've got the right entries in /etc/ttys.
>wscons uses ttyE0 instead of ttyv0.
>
>I think you can also fix this by making /dev/ttyv0 a symlink to
>/dev/ttyE0?
>
>HTH,
>
>David.

Yup, thats the problem - I hadn't really twigged that wscons was
supposed to be completely different. When I was hacking the kernel
before I bunged wscons in as major 4 to make it work!

I notice that MAKEDEV all with the new sets doesn't make any ttyEs and
theres no /etc/rc.wscons in there either, or mention of them in /etc/ttys.
Theres no entry in MAKEDEV at all for ttyEcfg (mknod /dev/ttyEcfg c 60 255)
Put into rc.wscons:
wsconscfg 1
wsconscfg 2
wsconscfg 3
wsconscfg 4
wsconscfg 5
wsconscfg 6
wsconscfg 7
And add to /etc/ttys:
ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
ttyE1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
ttyE2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
ttyE3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
ttyE4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
ttyE5   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
ttyE6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure
ttyE7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt100   on secure

(Leaving ttyvs in seems harmless, and allows use of old kernels maybe?
- I've only been doing this on a different partition)

So what about X support? Is it possible to compile the kernel with
old pcvt emulation and use the old X server, or

Ahem, excuse me!

Oh yes, can one do anything magic with this wscons thing then, like
get higher resolution text modes or something?