Subject: Re: ne0: ring buffer overrun
To: David Forbes <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/11/1999 21:38:25
On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 05:03:40PM +0000, David Forbes wrote:
> ...is there anyway of reducing this error.  e.g. can I increase the size
> of the ring buffer?  I get it rather a lot when transferring data across
> the network, and I get much slower transfer than in RISC OS.
AFAIK the ring buffer is the hardware buffer on the NIC.
This happens if the NIC is receiving more Data than the CPU(s) can fetch
from the buffer.

Maybe bigger software buffers may help, but I suppose not much.
I think you can get a little more speed, if you patch the driver not to log
those errors, since this will eat up additional CPU cycles.

 Bye,
   Thilo.
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.