Subject: Re: Installation guide and FAQ
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/09/1999 00:12:08
Hi Neil and David!

In message <36D9F96D.9152FD93@causality.com>
          "Neil A. Carson" <neil@causality.com> wrote:

> David Brownlee wrote:
> >         If anyone would be willing to help update it - please let Neil or
> >         me know!

That's exactly the reason why I was asking. :-)
OK, how do we go about it?
Last time (pretty long ago) we were discussing documentation was when we
thought about using LinuxDoc or whatever document format the FreeBSD people
were using for their Handbook etc. I think I'll have a look at this first,
but if anybody has experience with this, I'd like to hear from him.
The benefit of using such a format is that you can get all kinds of document
formattings out of it, HTML, ASCII, LaTeX etc... so I think it's really worth
to use it.

> My long line of updates on the NetBSD web pages stopped when I moved; I
> njeed to desparately update netbsd.org, simtec.demon.co.uk, chaltech.com
> and causality.com. I'll try and get to them soon. I know the current FAQ
> is brain-dead---I just hacked it up briefly because I needed
> *something*.

That's where users like me can help out. We just need to define how the
documents are to be written (document format, maybe some style rules), who
maintains them and how submissions can be made.

> For example, I've now written a wscons-based X server that will work on
> RiscPCs etc as soon as they are moved to wscons (or the server is
> hacked) which will hopefully mark an end of the current Acorn-machine X
> nightmare.

Both a new console (enabling me to load a German keymap) and a better X
server is something I'd really appreciate VERY much. Good work!
--
So long, Markus

PGP key available on request or from
my homepage at http://www.gp.fht-esslingen.de/students/emw4maba