Subject: Re: Installation guide and FAQ
To: Markus Baeurle <emw4maba@gp.fht-esslingen.de>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/08/1999 18:28:50
On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Markus Baeurle wrote:

> That's exactly the reason why I was asking. :-)
> OK, how do we go about it?
> Last time (pretty long ago) we were discussing documentation was when we
> thought about using LinuxDoc or whatever document format the FreeBSD people
> were using for their Handbook etc. I think I'll have a look at this first,
> but if anybody has experience with this, I'd like to hear from him.
> The benefit of using such a format is that you can get all kinds of document
> formattings out of it, HTML, ASCII, LaTeX etc... so I think it's really worth
> to use it.

	I think everytime we start on this it all bogs down on the format
	and we don't actully get any more information up :(

	At the moment we have a simplistic perl script that takes html
	with a couple of extra special tags and outputs normal html with
	a set of indexes and appropriate '<a name=...' links. It works
	quite well and takes most of the pain out of adding entries.

	(Check out http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/arm32/faq.faq)

> That's where users like me can help out. We just need to define how the
> documents are to be written (document format, maybe some style rules), who
> maintains them and how submissions can be made.

	Actually we were looking for someone to keep and eye on each
	port-* list and collect entries for the FAQs. For now the rules
	are simple: Let us know you're interested and email entries as
	HTML (or even text) to www@netbsd.org :)

	We're trying to keep the non port specific answers under
	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/

	If you have the time - please let us know!

		David/absolute