Subject: Re: IDE Errors with CATS
To: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
From: Brian Cully <shmit@kublai.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/02/1999 12:54:21
On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 12:56:12PM -0800, Mark Brinicombe wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Brian Cully wrote:
>
> > Now, this didn't show up at all in the 19981001 kernel, so I'm thinking
> > something in the IDE subsystem has changed since then.
>
> There have been quite a few changes in the pciide code since then.

Yeah, I figured as much. :-)

> With the older kernels you could force dma via the flags for the pciide
> driver.

I noticed, but I want to turn it off, and after inspecting pciide.c,
there doesn't appear to be a way to, short of adding the controller
to the quirk table.

> The controller is the ALI5229 that does support DMA and UDMA although the
> firmware may not be setting the best timing for UDMA mode UDMA should
> work. (I have 3 UDMA discs and one DMA disc on my CATS).

My fclk is set to 50MHz, and pciclk is 33MHz. I've tried setting the
four cominations of fclk at 66/50 and pciclk at 25/33, but I still
kept getting errors. So I've had to turn off DMA by tweaking pciide.c,
and now things are happy again.

-bjc