Subject: Re: IDE Errors with CATS
To: Brian Cully <shmit@kublai.com>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/01/1999 12:56:12
On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Brian Cully wrote:

> Now, this didn't show up at all in the 19981001 kernel, so I'm thinking
> something in the IDE subsystem has changed since then.

There have been quite a few changes in the pciide code since then.

> FWIW, I'm using an IBM 9 GB drive (can't remember the model name,
> DataStore?) on the on-board PCI IDE controller on my CATS motherboard.
> Both claim to support PIO modes up to 4 and UDMA. However, in previous
> kernels, the DMA mode had been disabled because the kernel thought
> the controller didn't support it. From the message above, though, one
> can gather that DMA mode is now working (sort of) on the system.
With the older kernels you could force dma via the flags for the pciide
driver.

> My best guess is that the controller doesn't actually support UDMA,
> and that's what's causing these errors. Is there an option I can specify
> to turn it off?
The controller is the ALI5229 that does support DMA and UDMA although the
firmware may not be setting the best timing for UDMA mode UDMA should
work. (I have 3 UDMA discs and one DMA disc on my CATS).

Cheers,
				Mark