Subject: Re: Questions about Network Address Translation
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/14/1999 14:05:04
Jasper Wallace writes:

< --- text removed --- >

 > you'll need an extra nic:

>From another answer I got the impression it could be done with only
one interface setting up an alias for either the external or internal
interface. Is this impression wrong?

 > Internet
 > --------
 > .---------------------.
 > | Nat Box (PC or RPC) |
 > `---------------------'
 >    ---
 >   |Hub|
 >    ---
 >  --------
 > |[Risc]PC|
 >  --------
 >

 > Is the internet gateway above a PC of some kind? or just a box on a wall
 > somewhere?

It's a box on the floor :-) A cable modem connect to a linux gateway
in the other end (at the ISP).

 > It's very easy to set up, read the man page and look at the examples in
 > /usr/share/examples/. One thing that isn't immediatly clear is that you have
 > to enable ipf with 'ipf -E' before NAT will work.

I did not find /usr/share/examples but /usr/share/samples, I suppose
they are the same?

So it IS necessary to set 'ipf -E' when you only want to do NAT?

Thanks for any help
--
Ib-Michael Martinsen		Email at work: imm.it@dsg.dk
Fidomail:      2:234/181.9	Email at home: imm@nethotel.dk

Running NetBSD/arm32 v1.3alfa on an Acorn RiscPC with a 202MHz StrongArm.