Subject: Questions about Network Address Translation
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/08/1999 21:01:03
Hello list

I have my RiscPC connected to the Internet via a cablenet
connection with a fixed IP-address. I also have a PC which
I would like to use on the net. I was wondering if it was
possible to get the following setup to work using Network
Address Translation:

(* To all hackers: the following addresses are not the
real/live addresses as seen on the net, so stop wasting
your time trying to break into my system *)

+----------------+     +---+
|Internet Gateway|     |   |
| 192.168.34.254 |-----+   |
+----------------+     |   |
                       |   |
+----------------+     | H |
|     RiscPC     |     |   |
| 192.168.34.234 |-----+ U |
+----------------+     |   |
                       | B |
+----------------+     |   |
|       PC       |     |   |
| 192.168.0.2    |-----+   |
+----------------+     |   |
                       +---+

The problem is that I am not allowed to put the PC on the
192.168.34 net, as my ISP is using it for other customers.

I was imagining that NAT on the RiscPC could translate packets from
the PC to 192.168.34.234 packets, send them out on the net and when
answers came back retranslate the right packets (for the PC) back to
192.168.0.2 packets and send them back to the PC.

Is this scheme possible at all or do I have to install an extra
Ethernet card in the RiscPC or in the PC, if I want to connect
to machines(nets) to the same Internet-address?

If the scheme is possible: has anyone done it already and could
that someone give an example of how the IP NAT file looks?

Thank you for your time
   Ib-Michael
--
Ib-Michael Martinsen		Email at work: imm.it@dsg.dk
Fidomail:      2:234/181.9	Email at home: imm@nethotel.dk

Running NetBSD/arm32 v1.3alfa on an Acorn RiscPC with a 202MHz StrongArm.