Subject: Re: Compiling big programs
To: David Forbes <dmf20@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/04/1999 01:39:48
> I've been trying to compile a program I downloaded which has a lot of
> local variables in main()...about 8Mb worth.  It compiles okay, but when I
> come to run it, it SEGVs before doing anything.
>
> Presumably, it's having trouble with all the local variables.  Is there
> any way around this?  (Other than rewriting the program...)
>
> I've tried specifying -static and using ulimit, both to no avail.

You're running into the maximum stack size limit, which is defined by
MAXSSIZ in vmparam.h; it's defined under an #ifndef, so in *theory* it
may be possible to override this in the kernel config file for your
own kernel, but I've never had a reason to try doing this and have no
idea whether it would work.

MAXSSIZ is 32MB on most NetBSD ports, though it's only 8MB on arm32,
pc532, and vax..

					- Bill