Subject: Questions about sound, MIDI and top.
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/03/1999 21:56:23
Hello There.

I have a few questions I haven't found any answers for, maybe
someone can help me?

Apart from the irritative system beep is it possible to get (hear)
some decent sound (wav-, mpg3-, aiff-files etc.) out of a
StrongArmed RiscPC equipped with an EagleM2 sound card?

Is there any possibility of getting MIDI in/out/thru to work
with the same card?

If the above is possible, is there any usable software?

I am having a little trouble in understanding some of the output
from the top command. Can someone please enlighten me?

Example:

load averages:  1.65,  1.87,  1.49                                     11:29:17
32 processes:  1 running, 31 sleeping
CPU states:  6.9% user,  2.5% nice, 37.9% system, 13.8% interrupt, 38.9% idle
Memory: 8300K Act 7096K Inact 2488K Wired 11M Free 21M Swap 157M Swap free

How do I interpret the fourth line of the top output?

Does it state that my processes use 8300K of which 7096K is paged in
and 2488K is paged out?

I have 32MB (+ 2MB video RAM) physical memory. Is 21M unused?
Why is there Inactive memory then?

Why can't I get the sum of the various memory types to add up to my
physical memory size?

And what is Wired Memory?

Thanks for any usable answers!
   Ib-Michael
--
Ib-Michael Martinsen		Email at work: imm.it@dsg.dk
Fidomail:      2:234/181.9	Email at home: imm@nethotel.dk

Running NetBSD/arm32 v1.3alfa on an Acorn RiscPC with a 202MHz StrongArm.