Subject: Acer Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Mark J. Foster <mfoster@mail.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/19/1999 07:04:21
Howdy!

To add another peripheral to the SHARK list, I've managed to get the
Acer Airtouch Wireless (IR) keyboard/mouse to work as the console
device.  This device, which sells for about $70, has a small remote
keyboard with an integrated "rubber button" mouse-like device.

Unfortunately, this thing talks funny!  Specifically, the mouse doesn't
set the usual flags in the mouse-button byte, so it is virtually
impossible to keep the mouse data in sync (especially when it sends a
couple of extraneous bytes after a reset!).

To fix this, I've patched pms.c to use one of the tricks used in the AV
driver - it watches the amount of time which has elapsed between mouse
bytes, and if it has been 1/2 second or more, the driver will
automatically reync with the incoming data stream.  While this is
something of a hack, it has worked perfectly for me.

For those who would like to play with this, the only file modified is
pms.c, and the patched version (based on the original SHARK code dump
from the DEC website) is at:

        ftp://ftp.talix.com/pub/pms/pms.c

Note that the code should still work fine with existing mice without
change, but since it's hot off the press, I'll hold off on integrating
it into NetBSD until more folks try it and/or express interest...

Cheers!
MarkF

P.S.  This peripheral does not need my AV driver to work, since it comes
with a H/W IR receiver.  While the SHARK running AV+LIRC does receive
the keyboard and mouse commands, it will ignore them if it is not
"trained" to recognize the codes.  Anyway, it's obviously nice to have a
"real" mouse and keyboard once in a while...