Subject: Re: Corel ARM server.
To: kim@pvv.ntnu.no, Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/19/1999 10:54:16
On Sun, Jan 17, 1999 at 11:10:02PM +0100, kim@pvv.ntnu.no wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Darren Reed wrote:
> >
> > I don't know why they went with Linux rather than NetBSD, given
> > that NetBSD would probably have been the easier port. Probably just
> > because Linux is a bigger name.
>
> All the versions of Linux I have worked with, including Sparc versions,
> has been much stabler, and frendlier than NetBSD on ARM32.

This last Saturday, I've watched a friend of mine not being able to netboot
his Netwinder with the upgraded Linux version, because the new kernel would
hang during the Ethernet driver initialization.

Of course, he wanted to netboot it so that he could upgrade the userland on
the internal disk... a bit of a tricky problem.

Yes, such things happen with NetBSD, especially with -current, too. Just
wanted to mention it.

	-is