Subject: Re: SHARK TV-Out Update
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/13/1999 20:42:05
"Erik E. Fair" <fair@clock.org> writes:
> OK, pccons (pcvt, whatever) is too inflexible to do the right thing, and
> it's being replaced anyway.

pccons, pcvt, etc., are VGA drivers.  VGA is not what you want.

> Can wscons be modified/configured to "do the apparently right thing"?

yes.  it should be Really Straightforward to make it glue in as a flat
frame buffer, which is what you want.

> And if what the OF does to generate video is the wrong thing, can someone
> explain why that is, using small words?

The problem with both the OFW flat frame buffer mode (i dunno the
timing) and the VGA mode (pretty standard timing, i'd guess, but i
dunno what it is) is the video timing.  Neither one is approriate for
TV-out.

I'd guess that it's possible to get OFW to configure the video chip
with the right timings, but it may be difficult.  (everything is
patchable, really, it's just how hard you're willing to work to patch
it.)

cgd