Subject: Re: SHARK TV-Out Update
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/13/1999 17:34:16
Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com> writes:
> Doesn't wscons on a chip with a `text mode' use the default sync rate of the
> `text mode'?
>
> pc0 just uses the rate that your average `VGA text boot' would be, using the
> same chip in an i386.  (That's why the font looks *very* familiar.  :)

except...

use of text mode on the shark is a gross hack, intended to be removed
from the get-go.

OFW natively wants to use a flat frame buffer.  until you boot the
kernel, that's what you see/get.

in order to port the code quickly, use of vga mode was appropriate,
and so a hack was made to the firmware to put it in the that mode
(look for text-mode3 in the shark pccons driver).  it was ~always
intended that eventually that hack shold go away.

just because the chip can be used for VGA doesn't mean that the
hardware/software wants to or should use it that way.  8-)

cgd