Subject: Re: SHARK TV Out?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Mark J. Foster <mfoster@mail.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/10/1999 17:56:17
Update on SHARK TV-Out:

Thanks for your help with setting up SHARK TV-out.  The first lesson was to use
a working Rev. 5 SHARK (first I started with a Rev. 4, which didn't work for
me, and then the first Rev. 5 SHARK I started with was broken).  With a decent
machine, TV-out starts working!  Well, almost.  The second lesson was to use
the proper mode line - i.e. use the XF86Config which came with the original
SHARK (I'd modified mine for my monitor previously).

As far as display capability, I'm using S-Video out, which yields very readable
80-column text on my big-screen TV.  Better yet, it syncs OK in OFW, PC0, and
in X.  As noted by others, the video overscans in all modes (though it is most
objectionable in OFW/PC0)...  More importantly, the PC0 (& OFW?) display(s)
truncate the last 8 characters, apparently due to an improper H-Blanking
register setting.

In all modes, I was surprised to get only monochrome displays with S-Video - my
initial assumption was that the absence of color you'd described might have
been a setup problem with the color burst, but S -Video suffers from the same
problem.

OK.  I'd like to fix these.  In the interest of simplicity, I'd prefer to start
with the latest code available.  Can anyone recommend the latest set of X11
sources which include the SHARK/arm32-specific patches?

Thank you!
Mark Foster