Subject: Re: (Pre-) Announce SHARK IR / Home Control
To: David Feustel <feustel@ix.netcom.com>
From: Mark J. Foster <mfoster@mail.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/08/1999 06:50:47
Hi, David!

The SHARK (aka Strongarm Hardware Architecture Reference Kit, which Digital
management wanted called the Digittal Network Appliance Reference Design, or
DNARD) is a fast (233 MHz), inexpensive Network Computer Reference Design
developed by Digital Equipment Corporation's Internet Appliance Group,
partnering with Network Computer Inc/Oracle, Firmworks for firmware, National
Semiconductor for chipsets, Funai/Aranex/Wyse/Uniden and others who were
building variants of it, etc.  To put it another way, you could think of it
as the world's smallest, fastest, cheapest, easiest-to-use diskless Unix
workstation (though many folks have mounted small hard disks in theirs).
While the boxes really are cool (see:

              http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/iag

for full details), and many SHARKs had been built, the program was shut down
by Digital's senior management (if you keep up with the N.Y. Times, they had
an interesting article on this topic). When the program was killed, Digital's
remaining SHARKs were distributed to free software groups, universities, etc.

In a nutshell, the system has both conventional features (Ethernet, 32MB
SDRAM, VGA, serial port, parallel port, internal PCI and ISA-interfaced
daughtercards), but also consumer features (consumer IR RX/TX, game port,
Soundblaster audio). The reason I like it a lot for home control applications
is that it is very small (smaller than some notebook PCs), silent (no fan),
low power (8 watts flat out), does IR, and looks great in a stereo stand!!!

If it's something you just gotta' have, I've heard that Funai has a few more
of their units left, and they might sell you one...

Is that enough?

Cheers!
MarkF