Subject: Re: SHARK TV Out?
To: Mark J. Foster <mfoster@mail.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/08/1999 11:14:05
On Thu, Jan 07, 1999 at 11:44:55PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Mark J. Foster wrote:
>
> : As I'm working on my SHARK home control software, I've decided that I'll
> : be using PIP (Picture-In-Picture) to control my system...  whenever you
> : push anything requiring a menu, it'll automatically bring it up on the
> : TV screen using PIP.  Since I'm not wealthy enough to own a TV with RGB
> : input, does anyone know what the formula is to enable TV-out on a SHARK
> : in X-Windows?
>
> Use 640x480 resolution with `standard' video sync rates (31.5KHz horizontal,
> 60Hz vertical).  The hardware will interlace the video down to 15KHz
> internally.  Note that this *won't* work with the pc0 text console - that
> uses a higher vertical refresh rate and will make a TV `roll'.  It works
> only with the OpenFirmware console and X.
>
> The output is _composite_, not RF, so it should either work well with a
> standard PIP (composite video in), or for a `real' TV connection you will
> need a RF modulator.  (Yes, the little rectangular hole above the `TV'
> connector was intended to be for a channel number switch, with an internal
> RF modulator.)  I've fpound that some (maybe most) of the composite outputs
> are coming out in black and white, luminance only.  If someone can verify
> color operation on composite, please do!

I nearly succeeded to display Shark console TV out-put on i-Glasses. However,
with the standard timings, 3 characters on the left are missing (actually,
the last pixel column is there), and the last line at the bottom is missing.

Note that this is a European (PAL) version of the i-Glasses.

I didn't yet have enough time to play with the console timings. (And I don't
know if I can manipulate the OpenFirmware timings at all.)

	-is

	-is