Subject: Re: SCSI problem (PowerROM causes confusion)
To: Steve Hobbs <ee95seh@brunel.ac.uk>
From: Neil Farnham-Smith <neil@alsystems.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/14/1998 17:17:38
In <URL:news:local.risc-bsd> on Mon 14 Dec, Steve Hobbs wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Neil Farnham-Smith wrote:
>
> > > The problem with the PowerROMs is that they are using *the
> > > same* id as the Power-tec SCSI-2/3 cards. The supposed
> > > reason
> > >
> > > So, at present, a PowerROM cannot be used with
> > > NetBSD/arm32,  and since Alsystems are using the same id,
> > > it is very difficult to figure out that it is not a
> > > Power-tec SCSI-2 card.
> >
> > The necessary drivers are currently being written by our
> > developer, these will support all of our products, and allow
> > PowerROM'ed cards to run under ARM32 port of NetBSD.
>
> OK, thanks folks for the info. I had worked out how to disable
> the podule, but it is not an ideal solution, as I had hoped to
> use my SCSI Zip drive under BSD!
>
> I know it is a very kludgy thing to do, but would it be
> possible to use the podule id text to assist in recognition?
> The power-rom does echo some info like "PowerROM .... (Cumana
> Rev 2)", which may be of use.
>
> Alternatively, assuming I can find a suitably stable set of
> sources to download, I could try botching the kernel such that
> it ignores any powertec podules, and id's them as being a
> Cumana card? (i.e. a kernel specific to my machine).
>
> Can anybody give me simple instructions for finding which files
> I need to build a complete kernel? I have university net
> access, but not directly into my RiscPC, so downloading the
> whole lot is preferable to trying to sup against the 1.3Alpha
> sources.

I have just learnt from our developer
<mailto:gary@alsystems.co.uk> that he is having difficulty
contacting Causality, he needs some developer type questions to
be answered to be able to complete the Power-tec NetBSD drivers,
can anyone suggest an e-mail address he can use?

Regards Neil...
--
Neil Farnham-Smith                     Technical Support Engineer
neil@alsystems.co.uk                   http://www.alsystems.co.uk

    47 Winchester Road, Four Marks, Alton, Hampshire, GU34 5HG
    Telephone: +44 (0)1420 561111      Fax: +44 (0)1420 561100