Subject: Re: SCSI problem (PowerROM causes confusion)
To: Neil Farnham-Smith <neil@alsystems.co.uk>
From: Steve Hobbs <ee95seh@brunel.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/14/1998 13:58:04
On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Neil Farnham-Smith wrote:

> > The problem with the PowerROMs is that they are using *the
> > same* id as the Power-tec SCSI-2/3 cards. The supposed reason
> >
> > So, at present, a PowerROM cannot be used with NetBSD/arm32,
> > and since Alsystems are using the same id, it is very difficult
> > to figure out that it is not a Power-tec SCSI-2 card.
>
> The necessary drivers are currently being written by our
> developer, these will support all of our products, and allow
> PowerROM'ed cards to run under ARM32 port of NetBSD.

OK, thanks folks for the info. I had worked out how to disable the podule,
but it is not an ideal solution, as I had hoped to use my SCSI Zip drive
under BSD!

I know it is a very kludgy thing to do, but would it be possible to use
the podule id text to assist in recognition? The power-rom does echo some
info like "PowerROM .... (Cumana Rev 2)", which may be of use.

Alternatively, assuming I can find a suitably stable set of sources to
download, I could try botching the kernel such that it ignores any
powertec podules, and id's them as being a Cumana card? (i.e. a kernel
specific to my machine).

Can anybody give me simple instructions for finding which files I need to
build a complete kernel? I have university net access, but not directly
into my RiscPC, so downloading the whole lot is preferable to trying to
sup against the 1.3Alpha sources.

Thanks,

Stephen Hobbs.
e-mail: ee95seh (at) brunel.ac.uk

Final Year Electronics Student. Brunel University.