Subject: Re: ldconfig - query
From: Timothy Coltman <tim@auroral.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/11/1998 14:21:45
On Thu 10 Dec, MadNortheners wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Timothy Coltman wrote:
>
> > Err, I don't know what to suggest, really. Is your installation messed up?
>
> Shouldnt be - reinstalled from scratch (again) recently - and everything
> worked not long ago.
>
> > The only thing I can think of is that ldconfig only applies to shared libraries,
> > not static libraries, so if you type ldconfig -v you'll only see the names of
> > your shared libs. It took me a while to work out this was happening...
> >
> > And ldconfig-ing will only list libjs.so.2.0, not the other files.
>
> Nope, it isnt adding shared libs either...
>
> It'll probably be fixed now, as soon as you take something to be mended it
> always works fine...

That sounds like a familiar situation to me too... Or I post a query and when I
read it on my incoming email it sounds stupid...

> Did you ever get mico to work? I cant, nor corba, and thus not KOffice.

At the moment, I'm in the middle of updating my KDE to a snapshot version (sort
of between 1.0 and 1.1 (which is out in a few months)). Apparently you need this
to compile k-office. Having said that, I think I might wait until egcs is a part
of the source tree for NetBSD and some kind soul produces a egcs-included
snapshot and shared libs work again.

Can someone tell me if egcs supports shared code yet? When I compile stuff
that has the -fPIC or -fpic flags, it complains that the compiler doesn't
support this flag (ie -fpic/-fPIC). Are these the flags compilers use to produce
shared/dynamic code or am I getting confused with something else? (This was
with version 1.03 - I'm going to try and compile 1.1.1 soon - does 1.1.1 include
all the patches that Richard and Charles posted to this list?)

tim
--
tim@auroral.freeserve.co.uk