Subject: Re: kernel panic on RiscPC
To: Stefan Voss <voss@yoda.in-berlin.de>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/05/1998 14:03:47

> Hi folks,
>
> since about 2 weeks I get the following kernel panic with every kernel
> that I'm building from current. The panic happens at boot time shortly
> after detecting the first hard disk. These are the last few lines of the
> error message:

> pioc0 SMC FDC37C665GT peripheral controller rev 2
> wdc0 at pioc0 offset 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 9
> Data abort: 'Permission error (page) status=00f address=0000003c PC=f0007d10
> panic: permission fault in kernel by kernel
>
> Stopped in at _Debugger+0x10: ldmdb   r11, {r11, r13, r15}
> db> console_kbd = 0

wdc_pioc.c has been broken since it was changed to use the new wdc driver.
 I posted a PR about this over a month ago (with a patch), but nothing has
been done about it.  The patch no-longer applies cleanly to the current
version, but I managed to build a working kernel last weekend.
Unfortunately, my RPC is at home so I don't have the patch to hand at the
moment.

Richard