Subject: Re: PIC hacks
To: None <richard.earnshaw@arm.com>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/04/1998 11:10:41
Richard Earnshaw wrote:

> Erm, radical suggestion time.  Rather than trying to fix up what is
> increasingly apparent as a "botch" job, why don't we migrate the ARM port
> to using ELF.  I'm now in a position where I can make details of the ARM
> ELF format available and we can do the job properly and (maybe) become
> more compatible with the rest of the arm world at the same time.
>
> Comments?

Do EGCS and ELF really work? I notice on the linux arm list they think
this is causing another StrongARM bug to be triggered (well most of what
he reported sounded like his consistency was just screwing up due to
lack of a proper bus-dma thing, but there did seem to be something valid
in the second point).

If so, how much work will this involve?

If 'yes' and 'not too much' then cool :-)