Subject: Re: PIC hacks
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/04/1998 12:17:00
On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 08:54:50AM -0800, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> In the mean time, everybody who builds -current from fresh
> NetBSD-current sources loses.  Sure, they've been losing for a long
> time, but it's _really_ silly for them to be told "lose a while
> longer, we have a good fix in hand but don't want to use it."

It is no more silly than to say "lose completely; rebuild all of your
binaries that use shared libraries; replace all your build packages;
we're changing the a.out ld.so with no regard whatsoever for backwards
compatibility, even though we could just change the emulation number
or magic number."  I don't think, at this point, it's reasonable to
make all NetBSD/arm32 users lose like that.

Either fixing the a.out stuff but changing the header values so
people's existing binaries continue to work the old, broken way, or
switching to ELF would be a much better option IMHO.

> I would bet that there's no real need for people to even install from
> binary snapshots, if they're willing to build two iterations of the
> world (one all static, then one with all the new tools)...

Where "the world" means "every binary and shared library on their machines",
I'm sure that's right.  I just don't think that's reasonable, given the
number of users of the arm32 port at this point and the widespread use
of the package system.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"