Subject: Re: Problems with some programs for X
To: None <andrew@andycole.force9.co.uk>
From: Dave Millen <webmaster@largesalad.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/27/1998 00:07:41
Andrew Coles wrote:

> teich-p previously wrote
> > Hi,
> >
> > some programs for X crash the whole X server when I trz to start them.
> > (for instance Mosaic or Mozilla compiled from the pkgsrc)

<snip>

> I can get that error myself - I've just compiled Enlightenment 0.14 (window
> manager, looks great, full of FP instructions ie sluggish...) and Eterm
> 0.7.9 - the enlightenment terminal
>
> Anyway - when I click on the menu in Eterm I get the same error.
>
> I'm running on my ARM610 at the mo. so the problem is not due to the
> StrongARM bug. It is probably more due to xarm33 - AFAIK it is still alpha
> release code.

I have done some investigation of this and posted a message in tech-pkg, but
didn't get a solution, so have been trying to sort it out for myself.

The enlightenment(E-term) problem appears to be caused either by libpng or (more
probably) the way that it is called from ImageMagick/enlightenment. You can
check this by trying to load a .png file into ImageMagick. It works fine with a
.jpg or .gif, but curls up its toes and dies in the same way as E-term on my
system if I try to load a .png. I suppose that there are .png images on the
E-term menu.

The point of impact is at around line 100 in
/usr/pkgsrc/png/work/libpng-1.0.2/pngread.c in the subroutine
png_create_read_struct( .... ), where there is a call to inflateImage( .... )
IIRC - I believe this is a routine in libz, but have not checked yet.

Strangely enough, libpng works perfectly for me with Mosaic and with the pngtest
program, but my debug code shows that png_create_read_struct( .... ) is passed
(cast)NULL pointers for it's final two parameters by these two programs, whereas
when called from ImageMagick, the same two parameters are the addresses of
ImageMagick functions. Changing these to (cast)NULL pointers has no effect.

My time is tight ATM, but if I can find some I'll take another look at this -
unless someone already has a solution.

regards,
Dave
--
Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot!

e-mail: webmaster@largesalad.co.uk
net: http://www.largesalad.co.uk/DJMsoft/