Subject: Re: SCSI problem (PowerROM causes confusion)
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Hobbs <ee95seh@brunel.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/26/1998 20:46:28
On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Mike Clark wrote:

> with both a Simtec IDE interface and also a Power Rom for my Morley SCSI
> card. I now find that I cannot reinstall NetBSD because of an install
> kernel panic when it detects the SCSI card.

On a similar note, I have a Cumana SCSI 1 podule (16bit). I have installed
a PowerROM upgrade for it, which is confusing BSD at boot time. It detects
the Power ROM, and seems to assume that the podule is therefore a full
PowerTec SCSI2 card. This makes it crash out on the hardware probe (I
assume).

Would it be possible to modify future kernel snapshots to eliminate this
problem via more thourough ID checking? I would try to compile a new
kernel myself, but have never succeeded, even with unmodified clean
installations.

Regards,

Stephen Hobbs.
e-mail: ee95seh (at) brunel.ac.uk

Final Year Electronics Student. Brunel University.