Subject: Are shared libraries broken again?
From: Timothy Coltman <tim@auroral.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/26/1998 02:37:36
Hello,

I'm using NetBSD/arm32 1.3H - the 19981001 snapshots.

Is there a problem with building shared libraries with this version of the
snapshot, as I have attempted to build all of the following using pkgsrc and
they all core dump on me:

lesstif-0.87.0
libslang-1.2.2
ncurses-1.9.9g

I've also tried to build qt-1.41 out of pkgsrc (for historical reasons: I've been
using KDE/QT since before they entered the pkgsrc tree, or at least since before
I realised what the vast rambling pkgsrc subdirectory was for) and that dies too
even the example apps. All of the relevant files (in /usr/bin, /usr/lib and
/usr/libexec are dated ca. Oct 3), so it's not caused by me having a
knackered install (thinks).

I have a load of packages dated early 09/98 such as gimp, giflib and jpeg-6b,
many of which use pkgsrc and all of which work fine. I can only surmise that the
crashing shared libraries bug has recurred, unless I'm missing something
extraordinarily simple (which is most likely), as all these programs compiled
fine (incl. their shared libs) with the August '98 snapshots. Unfortunately I
don't have these any more since I very cleverly wiped them off my harddisc
yesterday (!) and I can't find them anywhere on any of my harddiscs (I've got
another disc to try tomorrow (it's 2.35am now and I'm tired)) or any zip discs.

Help!

Cheers,
tim
(zzzz)