Subject: Re: Problems with some programs for X
To: teich-p <teich-p@Rcs1.urz.tu-dresden.de>
From: Andrew Coles <andrew@andycole.force9.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/24/1998 22:22:20
teich-p previously wrote
> Hi,
>
> some programs for X crash the whole X server when I trz to start them.
> (for instance Mosaic or Mozilla compiled from the pkgsrc)
 > The output from Xarm-33 looks like follows:
>
> 8bpp palette
<snip>
> Error with parameters: b, 4f, efbfba00
>
> Fatal server error:
> Memory Fault
>
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> xinit:  connection to X server lost.

> I am using a RiscPC600 with Strongarm processor (rev. 2)
> Could the Strongarm bug be the reason?
> Thanks in advance for your help!

I can get that error myself - I've just compiled Enlightenment 0.14 (window
manager, looks great, full of FP instructions ie sluggish...) and Eterm
0.7.9 - the enlightenment terminal

Anyway - when I click on the menu in Eterm I get the same error.

I'm running on my ARM610 at the mo. so the problem is not due to the
StrongARM bug. It is probably more due to xarm33 - AFAIK it is still alpha
release code.

I have heard that someone (maybe Mark B) was working on porting XFree86,
which would solve the problems. Then again, I could be wrong.

> Peter Teichmann

Andrew