Subject: Re: arm32 -current installs DOA ld.so
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/19/1998 09:46:37
[current-users moved to BCC and thread is ending there]

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Todd Whitesel wrote:

: Can someone explain to me what keeps these from being committed to -current?
:
: I don't mind adding a wacky option like USE_ARM32_BUILD_HACKS=1 to all my
: compiles; it's worth the piece of mind to know that a SUP won't accidentally
: wipe out a change that I needed to keep my system from eating itself alive.

Because the (ld, c++rt0) hacks are so gross that they should not be in
-current until a real fix exists.  (They deal with a broken implementation
of offset relocs.)

The rest of the patchesare optimizer fixes for gcc 2.7, which will go away
when we find that egcs is good enough for ARM (almost there....)

=====

BTW, directed at Mark and company:  Did you ever get my mail about the fact
that c++rt0 is completely trashed for shlibs with global ctors/dtors (and,
since it's not needed for other C++ shlibs, it's basically broken)?