Subject: Problems with egcs
From: Timothy Coltman <tim@auroral.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/18/1998 18:53:15
Hello, all you experts on EGCS and meaning of various error messages,

I'm using egcs-1.1b on 1.3G (19981001 snapshots). I got the compiler to
compile correctly and I used it to compile python using pkgsrc. I'm trying
to get KDE Office to compile. To do this, I need to compile the following:

mico-2.2.1.tar.gz (or later) - an 'ORB'
corba-1998xxxx.tar.gz, koffice-1998xxxx.tar.gz - KDE stuff.

However, mico will not compile without giving some very strange errors:

If I compile using '--disable-mini-stl', most of it compiles, but if not I
get masses of error messages. Many of them say things like "parse error
before '('" and "syntax error before '='". When I look at the lines indicated,
they don't even have brackets and equals signs in them. What's going on?
Using the 'disable-mini-stl' switch is supposed to compile in a subset of
the template library sufficient enough to compile mico, for compilers that
don't have a template library of their own. Does this apply to egcs? Should
I download a newer version. I've download the 19981114 NetBSD-current
snapshots, to compile. Will these help?

Hmmm....

On fiddling with the flags, I get further, but when it comes to link a file
named 'idl', it barfs (eventually) and 'collect2' tells me that it received
a signal 11. I have a SA-110K (the bugged one). Is this is consequence of the bug?
Or is it something else? A while ago someone on the mailing list was talking about
getting some later revision replacements for bugged SA-110s. How is this going?

When it barfed, ld placed a nice core dump on my harddisc. It was 270mb long!!!
Pourquoi? I thought I might be running out of room on my /var or /tmp partitions
so I used ln -s to link these to my /usr partition (about 3Gb free). Didn't
do a damn thing.

Help!!!

(PS What's all the other messages to do with egcs about? Eg: 'egcs revisited'
by Charles M.Hannum...)

Ever questioning,
tim

--