Subject: Re: No mouse in Xwindows
To: None <ANTHONY.HILTON@gw.sjsuh.northy.nhs.uk, port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/17/1998 23:20:27
> Please excuse what may be a very basic question, and direct me to sources
> of suitable documents if that is more appropriate, but I have to learn
>  somehow.At home I run RiscBSD 1.3Alpha on a 37Mb, Arm610 RiscPC. RiscBSD
> has about a 700Meg partition on a 2Gb disk. I always log on as root, not
> having worked out how to set other accounts with rights to become su.

Right this is fairly easy. You need to add the user to the wheel group in
/etc/group.

For example my wheel line in /etc/group reads:
wheel:*:0:root,mpumford

If you want to use startx as an ordinary user you will need to make Xarm33
setuid root (This is a security risk). To do this do the following:

chown root:wheel /usr/X11R6.3/bin/Xarm33
chmod u+s /usr/X11R6.3/bin/Xarm33

> When I try to run Xarm33 with the command startx, I get four windows: a
> clock top right, two windows titled xterm at the right side and one
> labelled login at the left. The twoo wterm windows fall off the right of
> the screen (no resize icon on the title bars), and the windows which come
> to the bottom of the screen. The mouse is not responsive, as the message
> on the main screen when I exit from X shows. I have obviously not got
> the keyboard set up properly as the cursor keys, nor their equivalents
> on the numeric keypad work move the cursor.

Ok that seems to be the standard set of X client used for BSD systems. You can
customise what gets started in .xinitrc in each users home directory.

> Initial console: 0
> RiscBSD X Server #33 (Acorn Show)
> width = 800, height = 600, depth = 8
> mmap(0, 79300, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, 4, 0) = 102ba000
> 8bpp palette
> 8bpp palette
> Black = 1, White = 0
> InitInput() notfinished
> About to mieqInit()
> /dev/mouse: no such file or directory
> Unable to open mouse.
> Winging it - using Keyboard keypad mouse.
> 8bpp palette
> 8bpp palette
> 8bpp palette
> 8bpp palette
> waiting for X server to shut down
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
> xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0
> "When I check the contents of /dev I see no /dev/qms but
> lrwx------  1 root  wheel   3 Nov   7 10:11 /dev/mouse -> qms
> crw-------  1 root  wheel   9,   0 Apr  1 1998 /dev/qms0

Right. This looks pretty straightforward. /dev/qms0 is the correct mouse device
on a RiscPC but the 1.3alpha distribution screwed up the /dev/mouse symbolic
link. To correct this do the following:

rm /dev/mouse
ln -s /dev/qms0 /dev/mouse

Once you get this sorted out I would recommend moving to a more recent
distribution if possible. The latest stable release is 1.3.2 and is available
from ftp.netbsd.org and its mirror sites. However based on past reports you
may wish to install the 1.3 alpha compiler sets over the top of this release
as many people on this list have identified problems with the 1.3.2 compiler
sets due to bugs in StrongARM CPU's. I think all is well on ARM6 and ARM 7.

HTH

Mike