Subject: No mouse in Xwindows
To: Receipt Notification Requested <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: None <ANTHONY.HILTON@gw.sjsuh.northy.nhs.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/17/1998 12:27:56
Please excuse what may be a very basic question, and direct me to sources of suitable documents if that is more appropriate, but I have to learn somehow.At home I run RiscBSD 1.3Alpha on a 37Mb, Arm610 RiscPC. RiscBSD has about a 700Meg partition on a 2Gb disk. I always log on as root, not having worked out how to set other accounts with rights to become su.When I try to run Xarm33 with the command startx, I get four windows: a clock top right, two windows titled xterm at the right side and one labelled login at the left. The twoo wterm windows fall off the right of the screen (no resize icon on the title bars), and the windows which come to the bottom of the screen. The mouse is not responsive, as the message on the main screen when I exit from X shows. I have obviously not got the keyboard set up properly as the cursor keys, nor their equivalents on the numeric keypad work move the cursor.Initial console: 0RiscBSD X Server #33 (Acorn Show)width = 800, height = 600, depth = 8mmap(0, 79300, PROT_READ | PROT_
WRITE, MAP_SHARED, 4, 0) = 102ba0008bpp palette8bpp paletteBlack = 1, White = 0InitInput() notfinishedAbout to mieqInit()/dev/mouse: no such file or directoryUnable to open mouse.Winging it - using Keyboard keypad mouse.8bpp palette8bpp palette8bpp palette8bpp palettewaiting for X server to shut down X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"When I check the contents of /dev I see no /dev/qms butlrwx------  1 root  wheel   3 Nov   7 10:11 /dev/mouse -> qmscrw-------  1 root  wheel   9,   0 Apr  1 1998 /dev/qms0Any explanation of what the messages mean, and how to at least get the mouse working, would be much appreciated.Anthony.Hilton@gw.sjsuh.northy.nhs.uk

Anthony J Hilton
Network Support Analyst
St James's University Hospital
Ext 66024