Subject: Re: I'm back
To: port-arm32@netbsd.org, Stephen B Streater <netbsd@surprise.demon.co.uk>
From: James Taylor <unix@oakseed.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/11/1998 00:18:04
On Tue 10 Nov, Stephen B Streater wrote:
> I had a crash on my CATs machine yesterday which corrupted a couple
> of files, one of which now has the directory entry of a device which
> doesn't allow rm or chmod. Is there an easy way to remove the file?
> (fsck doesn't think there's anything wrong with it.)

Have you tried the directory editing mode of emacs?

 1. Start emacs with the pathname of the directory
    containing the troublesome files.

 2. Move the cursor to the file you want to delete.

 3. Press d which marks the file for deletion.
    (Pressing u would unmark it.)

 4. Now type x to delete the marked files.

I'm not sure, but it may be necessary to run fsck to clean up
afterwards - I would do so anyway.

Yours,
--
[09] James Taylor <james@oakseed.demon.co.uk>  (Home)            [0d]