Subject: Newbie question - finding old Risc BSD bits
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Theo Markettos <atm26@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/01/1998 01:28:36
I've recently got a new HD in my Risc PC, and I'm intending to put NetBSD
onto it. I've previously installed 1.2 and 1.3_ALPHA from CD, but I've got
a shiny JANET connection, so I'm trying to download it.  I've found the
basic kernels and sets from ftp.netbsd.org, so they're a start.

First problem is that they won't install in the official manner with inst
without the .set files (tar -zxvf works, but it's not ideal), which are
nowhere to be found.  Are they anywhere?  It appears the old archive at
ftp.ph.kcl.ac.uk has been taken down for good (DNS doesn't recognise its
hostname).  There's a mirror up to 1.2 I think at Stuttgart, and I've got
copies on the 1.3_ALPHA CD, but are these out of date?

Similarly, is there anywhere the latest RiscBSD sets (X bits, joe,
emacs, rcm etc) can be found?  Again, I suspect the 1.3_ALPHA versions are
seriously out of date.

Also, are there any precompiled kernels with Morley SCSI support built
into them?  Until I've installed enough to build my own kernels, it means
a reboot to RISC OS to read anything off the 1.3_ALPHA CD, which is a
pain.

Finally, I keep getting messages from the EtherH driver about frames being
lost or crc checks failed.  I don't think they're regular enough to be of
too much concern (averaging about 10 in FTPing a 2MB file).  Are these
related to the EtherH bug mentioned in one of the FAQs, and is it possible
to shut them up?

Thanks in advance,
Theo

--