Subject: Is there a bugged StrongARM compatiable GCC?
To: NetBSD ARM 32 <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Coles <andrew@andycole.force9.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/31/1998 21:41:21
I had a thought earlier on today. On RiscBSD 1.2R the compiler ran on the
StrongARM. Now, on NetBSD 1.3.2, I have to put my ARM610 card in every
time.

As I understand it, tho' I'm probably wrong, gcc reads a certain file
depending on the machine architecture (I noticed that when compiling
egcs1.1b it loaded a filename containing 'netbsd' which was in a directory
containing similarly named files for other OSs, and a file whose name
contained ARM, which again, was in a dir. with other processor named
files). Then I also remember hearing about a ARM definition file,
specificially for the bugged StrongARM, which unrolled all STM commands
thus overcoming the problem, which would explain why the RiscBSD compiler
worked.

This also fits in with a conversation I had with Mark B a while back (a
Wakefield Show, where I bought RiscBSD 1.2R incidentally) about various
things, among which was the StrongARM bug.

Anyway, does anyone have the relavent arm.h (or whatever) file for GCC
(egcs 1.x or gcc2.7.2.1+myc1 will do)? If you do, could you email me and I
shall be eternally grateful. It's getting so annoying having to put the
ARM610 card in the machine to compile and then replacing it with a
StrongARM card when I want decent speed.

Thanks again

Andrew