Subject: Re: Assemblers
To: Robin Watts <Robin.Watts@wss.co.uk>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/27/1998 11:18:03
Robin Watts wrote:

> Are there any assemblers out there for NetBSD that will take ARM code
> in the same (or very similar) input format as Objasm for RISC OS?

> Thanks to Peter Teichman I have some fast MPEG code that I would be
> interested in compiling up for the shark... I did some playing at the
> weekend and I can get VCDs playing video-only about 2/3 speed on the
> RISC PC under RISC OS - the Shark should be able to do video-only at
> full speed. If I put frame skipping in then there might be a chance to
> get full speed with audio...

> BUT, I don't really want to have to remunge all the assembler to a new
> format...

Not that I know of. How much assembler is there? Converting to gas is
generally straightforward, apart from the macros which are a pig. But if
not many macros and expressions to evaluate (such as :SIN: and friends)
are used, things should be okay (gas macros are much less powerful than
objasm ones).

Alternatively under RiscOS, if the code is reasonably self-standing you
could just assemble it into binary, and then load that into an array or
something :-)

I'd guess a Shark should be able to do vide-only at full speed, and as
you say maybe with audio and skipping providing the audio player can use
whole numbes.

	Neil
--
Neil A. Carson