Subject: Re: egcs / koffice
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/25/1998 17:21:34
> Whatever the "problem" was, it's now our arm32 ABI.  If you want an
> APCS-compatible mechanism, it has to be able to return in *both* registers
> and stack by default, and assume that the default is registers for
> compatibility.  Use of -f*-return ONLY would change that behavior and
> expectation.

There is no way to make it return using both mechanisms, for the simple
reason that structures returned in memory are placed at the address that
is passed as an invisible first argument when the function is called (this
argument just isn't there when the structure is returned in regs).

I'll look into making a patch: Basically I will add a -mold-struct-return
(and its counterpart -mno-old-struct-return) which will be *on* by default
for netbsd, but off for other ports.

Richard.