Subject: Re: egcs / koffice
To: None <richard.earnshaw@arm.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/25/1998 11:11:04
(Richard, can you set your default Cc: to rearnsha@sun52.arm.com to go in
your Bcc: instead?  :)

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

: > I have a hard time believing that EGCS has purposely discontinued this
: > behavior. Have you queried the EGCS list about this issue?
:
: The change was made to make GCC compatible with the ARM toolkit and the
: APCS.

This is what I've been meaning to get back to you about.  I can't really add
the "return_in_regs" hack because it only addresses softfloat.c and not
_all_ source code out there.  This is an ABI issue as much as it is an API
issue.

NetBSD/arm32 1.3.2 was shipped with gcc 2.7, and like it or not, since that
"bug" existed then, we _must_ provide that as default behavior for
NetBSD/arm32 on all future versions.  At worst, if stack-return of structs
uses a different pointer register than the two regs used for reg-return, we
need to have egcs provide both interfaces simultaneously unless one of the
-f*-return options is given.

What I need to know is how to set egcs, when compiled for NetBSD/arm32, to
have reg-return as the default behavior.  Since you've rototilled the code
several times, you'd probably have the best knowledge for it.