Subject: Re: egcs / koffice
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/25/1998 07:35:53
> Actually, probably nothing detailed.  Richard Earnshaw and I were talking
> about it in private mail.  Basically, gcc 2.7 was returning 64-bit struct
> typedefs in two registers instead of on the stack.

That sounds like the correct behavior to me; why did you originally refer to
it as a 'bug' ?

> The unfortunate thing here is that this is how gcc 2.7 was working, AFAIK,
> for all 64-bit struct typedefs.  It may be that egcs will need to be altered
> to emulate this as a `historic compatibility' mode.  That does in fact mean
> that there is some binary compatibility right now between gcc 2.7 and stock
> egcs.

The GNU compiler for 68k has traditionally returned 8 byte structs in D0+D1.
Back when I was maintaining 68k at Green Hills we used to get flak for not
doing the same, because it prevented binary compatibility with GNU.

I have a hard time believing that EGCS has purposely discontinued this
behavior. Have you queried the EGCS list about this issue?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com