Subject: Re: Support for ICS IDE v6
To: Darren Kennedy <darren.kennedy@rrds.co.uk>
From: Dave Millen <dmillen@largesalad.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/23/1998 00:21:05
Hi,

Darren Kennedy wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I tried the two kernels in the 19981001 snapshot  (RISCPC and RPCINST) booting off my HD on the ICS i/f but unfortunately both hung at the secondary bootstrap. ie
>
> initarm ... secondary bootstrap

It sounds as if you have the same problem I had.

> I tried the orig 1.3.2 ones to just check what they did, and as expected they got
> down as far as probing  podule 0 then hung.

Likewise!

I can offer 3 solutions :)

     1. I can send you a 1.3.2 test kernel which runs on my RPC
     2. Likewise a 1.3H kernel built from very recent sources - It's full of debugging code, but that seems to be what gets it past the 'Secondary bootstrap' lockup.
     3. Put lots of 'printf' statements in the relevant sections of '/usr/src/sys/arch/arm32/piscpc/machdep.c'. This is how I overcame the problem (see 2. above).

Unfortunately, I haven't built an install kernel, as I can disable the podulebus and install the base installation on the motherboard-connected drive and mount the ICS drive later.

Let me know if you want me to send you a kernel.
regards,
Dave
--
Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot!

e-mail: dmillen@largesalad.co.uk
net: http://www.largesalad.co.uk/DJMsoft/