Subject: Re: K-Office
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Boroske <y0001006@ws.rz.tu-bs.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/22/1998 20:10:58
In message <Pine.SOL.3.95.981022115402.8876B-100000@primrose>
          MadNortheners <phryc@csv.warwick.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Thomas Boroske wrote:
> > May be different in your version, but the 'startkde' my version (1.0)
> > came with isn't supposed to start X (I know, the name is confusing,
> > ie startx <-> startkde). It's just a small skript that starts
> > kfm, krootwm etc etc and finally kwm. Ie call it from your
> > .xsession and/or .xinitrc inplace of your previous wm (that
> > you all as last task).
> > In other words, unless your startkde is different, the behaviour
> > is perfectly normal and not an error.
>
> Hmm. My startkde is, as you say, just a simple script. I run it and it
> tries each line and each command screams cos it 'cant talk to x-server'
> and then it stops...
> I'll try sticking it in .xinitrc, and see if that works.

Hmm. As I understood, you tried "startkde" without starting the
X-server first. Quote
> 3) Yes, I know... Anyway, I have problems with starting KDE, startkde
> screams about not being able to talk to the xserver, so I had to edit my
> xinit to run startkde after X has started.

[ BTW what do you mean with editing your "xinit" - what file
are you talking about here exactly ? ]

I was just saying that this is perfectly normal behaviour,
everything started in "startkde" expects the x-server to be already
running, just like every other window manager.
So you put "startkde" in you .xsession or .xinitrc, depending
on whether you use an xdm-login or start the X-server manually
after a console login.

Any questions ?

Kind regards,

--